“No man exists who was not made by the child he once was.” Maria Montessori
Children between the ages of 18 and 36 months join the TMS community in a carefully prepared classroom where experienced teachers guide our youngest students through mornings filled with discovery.
- Care of Self
- Care of Environment (Classroom, School, Home)
- Control of Movement
“Practical Life” is the term Maria Montessori coined to describe those seemingly simple actions that, when connected, form the day’s work in a home. These actions, once grasped and mastered by a young child, offer a path to independence and pleasure. Dr. Montessori observed that toddlers are deeply interested in the work of the adults in their lives. Once given an opportunity to do these activities themselves, the children experience the thrill of autonomy within a nurturing environment.
The Sensorial materials in the Toddler classroom encourage young children to explore and sharpen their five senses while developing the strength and dexterity to manipulate items in their environment with ease.
- Awareness of dimension and texture
- Recognition of subtle color distinctions
- Tactile understanding of geometric shapes
- Tonal awareness
- Development of comfortable pincer grasp
- songs to begin the day
- emphasis on the rhythm of thoughtful conversation
- materials that stimulate vocabulary development and comfort with language
- materials that help children to construct a mathematical understanding from a physical sense of relative size
- activities offering a natural ladder to number sense
“The development of the child during the first three years after birth is unequaled in intensity and importance by any period that precedes or follows in the whole life of the child.” Maria Montessori
We invite you to contact TMS to learn more about our Toddler Program.